7.07.2007

Caffeination A La Oshkosh



When I tell people here that I've just moved from New York, they inevitably look at me as if they're expecting me to implode at any minute, as if a New Yorker could not possibly survive here in the Midwest. We first heard it from the rental car lady last March when we came out looking for apartments, "Ohh, that'll be a big change, now."

In many ways, however, the quality of life-- including the quality of retail life within walking distance-- has actually improved. It's true, we do have to drive to the grocery store now. However, in the realm of coffee places nearby, we're talking major amelioration. [Keep in mind that I'm a caffeine addict and that I'm one of those people who likes to work in coffee shops]. In our old neighborhood, the closest coffee shop was a Starbucks down the hill on 181st St. OR another shop, two doors down, which did have great coffee but also had table service-- which can make you feel funny about sitting there forever. Neither had free wi-fi, and the Starbucks was generally mobbed.

Now I have two lovely independent coffee places right here. My favorite of the two, Planet Perk, is pictured above. I first got coffee there when I was here on my campus visit and it's one of the places that sold me on the area. Good lighting, delicious coffee, yummy sandwiches and soups, Kashi cereals and other healthy things, plenty of tables, and a decent background music selection, too--yesterday I was treated to both the Creek Drank the Cradle and Rufus Wainwright. Much happiness ensues here. Planet Perk also has a nice outpost in nearby Neenah. Below is the view from my book:



The other nearby coffee place, which is also excellent, is the New Moon Cafe, which has a somewhat hipper vibe, wine and beer, and often hosts music in the evenings. This is a cafe I could see pretty much transported straight to Brooklyn. It has big comfy couches and is generally lovely.

Oh yeah, and BOTH shops have free wi-fi. How 'bout that.

Further great places abound elsewhere in Oshkosh and in nearby Appleton, where Brewed Awakenings is particularly fantastic [try the artichoke panini!]

It's true, I've moved from a city of 8.-whatever million to a city of 65,000, but a reviving downtown is a reviving downtown, and the coffee is good.

No comments: