3.04.2008

The Winter of Packers' Fans Discontent



Well, the news broke this morning while I was proctoring an exam: Brett Favre is retiring. I suspect there will be considerable rending of garments here in the Badger State. It was a great year for Favre and the Packers, despite the pain of the overtime loss to the Giants... wow.

And, fittingly perhaps for this news, the weather just keeps staying cold, cold, cold and snowy, snowy, snowy. I've had it. I'm the kind of person who actually likes winter-- getting out the sweaters, drinking hot beverages, tromping around in the snow, etc.-- but even I have completely had it. It's March. This morning when I got up it said "10, feels like -1."

I'm not asking for 75 and sunny, although I'm so desperate I actually starting looking at California airfares (v. high) the other day. (Those palm trees in Florida on the Red Sox spring training broadcasts look sooooo good). All I want is 45 degrees and no ice on the sidewalks or roads. Seriously. I know there won't be flowers and puppy dogs and short sleeves here for a long time. That's ok. Just 45 and easy walking. That's all I want.

On the other hand, I could live in the world's darkest town and only be seeing my first sunrise since the fall this coming Saturday. That would be worse.

No comments: