3.30.2008

You're Gonna Make It After All



(With apologies to Mary Tyler Moore).

This weekend we went to Minneapolis for a couple of days because I was giving a paper at the Upper Midwest regional AAR/SBL. Aside from that bit of business, we walked around the city, enjoyed being in a city, and ate some very good food. We were particularly impressed with the skyway system, pictured above-- even though it's now quite temperate (in the 40s), very sensible way to get around a cold weather city. I wish Oshkosh had a skyway :-). Nice uniform signage, good times all around.

I did think that the elevator we took up to the skyway looked like it belonged on an episode of Star Trek(TOS):



I guess it's that charming vintage 60s look.

Before we left, someone tried to stowaway:



But she did not meet with success.

Good eating was had at Rainbow Chinese Restaurant,Brit's Pub, and Duplex. Very good stuff. I particularly liked Duplex. Next door to Duplex is Namaste, which is billed as home of the best chai in city (or twin cities?), and it did not disappoint, nor did the mango pudding.

Librarian friends, if you are reading-- Public Libraries Association was holding a meeting this weekend and our hotel was filled with drunken librarians. I can only imagine what the ALA is like. Goodness. (Not that the big AAR is lacking in cordials, mind you).

Further images below. On the long drive home, of course, we made the requisite stop for cheese and emerged.... victorious!



2 comments:

Tamar said...

You know what's scary? It only took my brain 5 seconds to figure out what TOS stands for. And I have never watched it in my life. Clearly I have been married for some time now!

Love the Phoebe suitcase trick. I miss you guys! I'm glad you had a good time this weekend.

Heidi said...

Cute, very cute. Glad you had a good trip, better than the one to Chicago.